(Richard Francisco Bonfin, architect)
The current Bordeaux city hall was originally built as the Rohan Palace is for the Archbishop of Bordeaux Ferdinand Maximilian de Rohan Mériadec between 1771 and 1784.
During the French Revolution, the building served as department headquarters of the Revolutionary Court in 1791, then as Hotel de la Prefecture in 1802. The Palais Rohan became the imperial palace of Napoleon in 1808 and subsequently the royal castle in 1815 under Louis XVIII. In 1835 the Palais Rohan became the city hall of Bordeaux.