Bamberg City Hall
The original Gothic city hall dated from the 14th century. When it burned down, a major confrontation between the bishop — who technically owned the land the old city hall had been built upon — and the citizens who wanted to build a splendid new city hall on the old site.
The citizens marched in force to the gates of the bishops, whose troops forcibly drove the townspeople away. Humbled in their defeat, the townspeople sent the mayor and three councilors to plead their case. The bishop refused the request, saying that he would countenance no new building where the people could hatch plots against him.
After this rebuff, the townspeople debated what to do, when one young councilor, half-joking, suggested that they should build their new city hall in the Regnitz river, since the bishop did not control the water. The proposal was greeted in enthusiasm, and work began immediately, beginning with the driving of numerous oak beams into the river floor, completing the project in 1467.
Finally, when the townspeople believed that had won the battle, they realized that any bridges connection the city hall to the land would have to be built on the bishops land. So they humbling petitioned the great man, who at first refused, then finally granted permission.
In 1754-1756, Jakob Küchel designed the present structure, completed in 1756. In 1755, Johann Anwander covered the exterior walls with allegorical depicting the four seasons, the building of the city hall and its bridges, and the arts and sciences.
The Bamberg city hall was damaged in the Second World War:
In the years immediately following cessation of hostilities, the city hall and much oh the rest of the damaged city were fully restored.
more to come...