The first city hall of Munich was designed by Jörg von Halsbach and erected between 1470 and 1480 in the then-popular Gothic guildhall style, and attached to the even older (eleventh century) tower that once served as a fortification for the city.
The building was successively modified by several later styles, but returned to its original appearance in the 1860s, an age in which the Gothic style was once again appreciated and cherished for its historical associations. In 1877, and again in 1934, gateways were added to the street level section to allow for a better flow of traffic in and through the area.
The old city hall was heavily damaged during the Second World War.
Restoration efforts took some thirty years, but the project was finally completed in 1975.
more to come...